Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seeking nature in Singapore.

Singapore is such an urban country on the surface. You have the impression that no matter where you go, you find buildings and paved streets. A friend of mine told me that if you go to the Singapore zoo, you will find the land as it was before development, covered all over with jungle vegetations. That gave me an inspiration, without actually visiting the zoo.

During the coffee break of conference at the National University of Singapore, I took a walk. Although I was not aware of my motives, I think I was unconsciously seeking nature.

After a few minutes, I came to the border of development. The flat land that surrounded the buildings ended, and there was a rather steep slope. It was covered thick with trees and plants, something that I had not seen in Singapore before, but something which, when you came to think about it, was only natural in such a tropical climate.

Wandering around, I witnessed several butteflies fly. Welcome to fragments of Singapore before civilization. I cried with joy in my heart. Something came to fruition after all those years.





2 comments:

Morning glory tendril said...

It seems that your unconscious thirst led you to the land.
I am surprised that the thick vegetation borders on the mertopolis with a few minutes walk.
The encounter of sights is painful and moving at the same time.

Thank you for your photos of large-scale flower and leaf. I enjoy the rare shapes so much.

yuzu said...

Dear:Mr.Mogi
If it is possible that I want to cry with you.