Saturday, November 19, 2022

An oil painting of Albert Einstein reaching for a blue earth in the darkness of the universe, sprinkled with pink hearts













This is an artwork that I presented at the Peace Exhibition held in Spiral, Omotesando, Japan, from18th November to 20th November. 

It was actually open-AI's DALL-E which created the image, based on my prompt text:


 “An oil painting of Albert Einstein reaching for a blue earth in the darkness of the universe, sprinkled with pink hearts”


It is interesting to play with these AI systems. In a sense, you are fine-tuning the response of the AI with increasingly detailed and sophisticated text. In order to generate this particular image, I experimented with several tens of prompts, 52 to be precise. 


If you make your own drawing or painting, the narrowing down in the phase space is straightforward, because you are using your own hands. With an AI such as DALL-E, it becomes more of an educated guess work. While your own manual maneuver is sharply directed, negotiations with AIs are more random and full of surprises, whether serendipitous or nasty, and that, I suspect, would be a common defining feature of our lives in the near future with artificial intelligence systems.

1 comment:

(ma)gog said...

I saw your Einstein painting today, and have been astonished to find that the art is actually the creation of DALL-E, which I've come to know about from reading your blog. I wonder what kind of images DALL-E would create if I input the texts, "the creation of the world, consciousness, the meaning of life"... Would that be too ambiguous? I've always felt that art and music are more powerful than words, but, the advanced technology like this could give ordinary people like me the possibility to broaden the ways to express ourselves in a way that close to what we really feel or even to find out what we actually feel. Anyway, I "felt" the creators' earnest wish for "peace" through their works today and I just couldn't help praying for the better future.