Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sumo wrestling with Akira

Akira Wani, now teaching at the law department of University of Tokyo, is a good friend of mine since senior high school. He is a legendary genius. Akira's score for the test conducted by the National Center for University Entrance Examination was top of the nation, taking 981 out of 1000. For the graduation essay book of the senior high, Akira wrote an essay titled "On the concept of glory in the Latin civilization", while the other students wrote on the memories of school life and other mediocre themes.

In the senior high school, we discussed many things, history, philosophy, esthetics, politics, etc. Meeting with Akira was one of the most fortunate encounters in my life. It uplifted my spiritual and intellectual conditions tremendously. When I entered University of Tokyo, I felt that the intellectual atmosphere rather deteriorated, compared to the intense interaction I used to have with Akira, although the university is supposed to attract the academically high achieving kids of the nation.

So the senior high school days with Akira was a heaven. I remember quite well one particular day, when I happened to see Akira Wani at the train station. He was reading a book. It was a biography of Queen Elisabeth I of England. Out of curiosity, I asked Akira "Why are you reading such a book?" Akira answered, "as I am busy with studies, I need to read such a book from time to time, otherwise I cannot maintain the balance of my spirit".

This morning I am writing about Akira as I suddenly remembered one episode from the senior high days.

In the sports class, we were one day told by the teacher to do sumo wrestling. Chance had it that I was to do a match with Akira. The idea of sumo wrestling with my respected friend was something beyond my imagination. Out of the blue, I started to laugh, and I could not really control myself. It was ridiculous, absurd, and yet so fascinating.

Finally, sumo wrestling we did. I don't quite recall who won. I remember though that Akira was quite solemn in the match, and conducted his duty as a serious wrestler all the same.

4 comments:

pao said...

i wanna see him with red scarf!!
waniwaniXD

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the top performing Network Monitoring software for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central it management
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Anonymous said...

It should be fortunate to be close to such an exceptional figure at such an important time in one's life - Someone who can deliver all the right influence, the right perspective, the right standards of value, the right benchmark, in short, the right foundation for further growth in the right direction. I would also imagine the same to be said for the other gentleman who must certainly have been indebted by the acquaintance.
SK

Yuzu said...

Dear.Mr.Mogi
I like to listen to your friends story.
Particular about Mr.Wani was reading a biography of Queen Elisabeth 1 of England.

Today I am so impressed by story of you play sumo wrestling with Mr. Wani. How beautiful it is.
I want to have that kind of feeling.
You make me cry so easily.