Sunday, July 19, 2009

Criticism in action.

Some time ago, I was talking with the curator Yuko Hasegawa. We were discussing the nature of criticism, a necessary element in evaluating works of contemporary art, which is Yuko's field of expertise.

"When I look at a piece and do not like it, I simply move on", Yuko said.

"I walk and look, and keep moving on, saying this is not it. Then, once in a while, I come across a marvelous piece that really shakes my soul. Then I say to myself, here it was."

Yuko's method of criticism in action fits me. Criticism is not about having the last word. It is about living, actively searching, making discoveries, and accepting.



With Yuko Hasegawa

5 comments:

Tak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Utako said...

I think an exhibition itself is a contemporary art because the organism of the curator and the context appear there. We appreciate each works, the space, selection and arrangement at the same time. As you say, Ms.Yuko Hasegawa's criticism is very simple but exact. Probably she has quite vivid mind and a lot of stocks behind the action.

Criticism is scattered on life. I'd like to select my position as softly as possible, ultimately by following own reflections and voice.

Einstein's Brain said...

A good idea. I think it's best to spend time on what interests us.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I to but I contemplate the collection should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Again a fair post. Because of your friend