Sunday, May 02, 2010

A venerable society of lunatics

I stayed in Cambridge for two years from 1995 to 1997, and have been visiting regularly since.

I know the streets in out. Memories would flow back to me.

Cambridge is a stunningly beautiful town. However, needless to say, the value of the town is not for the looks. On my arrival, I went straight to the Cambridge University Press and checked the latest volumes. After that, I strolled to the Heffers bookshop in front of the Trinity college. I was thrilled to see all these wonderful books, each representing years of hard work, rigorous application of logic, no-nonsense empiricism, and refined aesthetics.

I think it is simply wonderful for people with similar interests and orientations to be gathered in a place, and have heated discussions, letting their souls inside out. We are always in search of such a community. In Cambridge we find a venerable society of lunatics which have matured over 800 years.

What a solace!














3 comments:

(ma)gog said...

I was also in Cambridge during summer in '95 and '96.

Thank you very much for the beautiful photos.

I can't remember how many times I strolled along the street from Trinity college to King's college towards Fitzwilliam Museum.

I am hoping to make a pilgrimage to my beloved town soon as well!

砂山鉄夫(Tetsu Sunayama) said...

Wow, you actually went to the Cambridge University Press! Thank you for your saying hello to the Press.

The book published by the Press in my room has begun to shine!

PS
I was very moved by your Japanese entry today. You don't write anything sad. However, for some reason, it makes me cry. It's like a beautiful scene in a dream.

Yuzu said...

Dear:Mr.Mogi
I respect your life.I image why you love Cambridge and U.K. Thank you for sharing your life. Thank you for your spectrum of pictures.
I remembered Cambridge when I was 16 years old.