Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wuthering Heights

The Wuthering Heights was one of the novels that I read in my teens in English language as I built up my linguistic ability and sensitivities for life in general.

The thing that struck me the most was the revelation of how Heathcliff, after Catherine's death, has been wandering around the Wuthering Heights in search of the loved one's spiritual afterglows. The image of the man walking in the wilderness, seeing the invisible, remained with me vividly, although the details of the novel has now escaped.

It is interesting how a certain type of human nature fascinates one. The respect for someone pursuing something that is beyond the scopes of the everyday has been the persistent trait of my adult life.

That kind of attitude has been nurtured by encountering a novel like the Wuthering Heights, and sharing the feelings and understandings with friends of the same feather.

Precious things are hard to find and keep.


Lawrence Olivier as Heathcriff in Wuthering Heights (1939), with Geraldine Fitzgerald.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out on the wiley, windy moors
We'd roll and fall in green
You had a temper, like my jealousy
Too hot, too greedy
How could you leave me?
When I needed to possess you?
I hated you, I loved you too

Bad dreams in the night
They told me I was going to lose the fight
Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering
Wuthering Heights

Heathcliff, its me, Cathy come home
I'm so cold, let me in-a-your window

Oh it gets dark, it gets lonely
On the other side from you
I pine alot, I find the lot
Falls through without you
I'm coming back love, cruel Heathcliff
My one dream, my only master

Too long I roam in the night
I'm coming back to his side to put it right
I'm coming home to wuthering, wuthering,
Wuthering Heights

Oh let me have it, let me grab your soul away
Oh let me have it, let me grab your soul away
You know it's me, Cathy
(By Kate Bush)
SK

yuzu said...

Dear.Mr.Mogi
I'll try to read "Wuthering Heights" in English.
But I can't find the time for reading now.
Though I will read. I think if I wright something
in your journal, I always promise.
I always promise.

Anonymous said...

To search for the invisible...that is an interesting and vague idea. It is something that we all do...we try to hold onto the past and we try to imagine the future. Some are more fervent than others in this pursuit. Our motives appear to be different, but some how...I think we are all searching for the same thing.

aMuse said...

Like a novel, like your quolia
journal, the music inspires me
something new. And sometimes
the music reminds me of some of the precious memories with "fragrances" ^-^
Les belles choses sont difficile
a garder.. Yes, so they are precious, may be.
P.S As it getting colder, please
put a coat, Mr.Mogi.

Anonymous said...

I may be searching for love but I am always afraid that I do not know how to reach it if I could find it ..