Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Dresden angel.

I was walking along the streets of Dresden, and found a bookshop. Dropping in, I wanted to by a Reclam.

The yellow cover and its small size has always been an attraction to me since my teens. The gems of German culture are represented in its pages. Browsing through, I chose "Der Ursprung des Kunstwerkes" (The origin of art) by Martin Heidegger.

To imagine that long years of endeavors by an intellect are purified and compressed in books, paintings, and architectures, and other forms of expression is quite exciting. One wants to keep learning, thinking, and then letting out, very hard and strenuous, for ever and ever, as long as life on this earth lingers on.

There was a golden angel on one of the roofs in Dresden. Its throbbing beauty seemed to direct me to futures unlimited.

5 comments:

Wander14 said...

The anniversary of Einstein's death
is approaching.

I wish I could meet him.
The reason why is that I had a dream of him last night.

(ma)gog said...

I hope you are having a wonderful time, and am secretly hoping maybe you would choose to live in Germany for a while...

Yesterday I was reading for the first time in years the esssays by Shusaku Endo. It was like visiting the old accustomed familiar place which had been long time waiting for me.

With his particular sense of humor and a bit of ironic tune, he kept insisting "'the true reality' is not just the fact itself, but is the way one believes how to perceive his life to be." And he also said, "there is certainly unvisible force beyond human knowledge which leads one's life to a certain direction, and there's no meaningless events in one's whole life."

The Dresden angel must be showing you as you say, the future direction you would lead, the future full of uncertainty, but promised to be the one which could be achieved only by those that endeavoured with sincereness and hard work.

P.S. Believe it or not, I used to have exactly the same kind of dreams which you mentioned yesterday until quite recently. Mine were not from the high schools days but from the university days, so they seemed to be much more realistic and horrifying...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful post with a visual representation of your feelings. Very artistic and sweet. Sometimes we forget that there is always an golden angel in our hearts pointing towards our unlimited potential :)

Yuzu said...

Dear:Mr.Mogi
I feel that you still are living in your youth now.
I think you live in your youth eternally.

Sadahiro said...

I want to see once a golden angel.

It has not gone out to foreign countries for 15 years.