Sunday, March 07, 2010

The food was excellent, and the worries of the day melted away.

I had an interesting public dialogue with the mystery writer Ms. Shizuko Natsuki.

After the lively conversation, I went to a book shop (Kinokuniya) in Fukuoka for a book signing. My latest book on the history of human civilization has just been released.


Ken Mogi "The stellar time of civiliation" ("Bunmei no Hoshijikan"). 2010.

After the book signing, we went to a restaurant to celebrate the day. As we were six in all, we took two taxis.

Our destination was a cozily small restaurant in the middle of a residential area. I was in the first taxi. Soon after we got on, it started to rain. The driver of the second taxi has been asked to follow the first one. Due to the rainfall and deepening darkness of night, and because of traffic, it was not easy to continue driving after the guiding taxi.

At such a time, I typically become worried. I get anxious if the second taxi is rightly following us. The driver of our taxi, who was apparently a professional in these matters, repeatedly assured us that it would be OK. Despite that, I was so worried that I closed my eyes and tried to wrap me in the warmth of the unknowing.

After several minutes we were at the door of the promised land. The second taxi came along just fine, and we were joined together at the table, smiling and hungry. The food was excellent, and the worries of the day melted away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Mogi, you were up so early this morning ...

"At such a time, I typically become worried. I get anxious if the second taxi is rightly following us."

Your statement generates self-reflection. I thought you are very caring. Maybe I am insensitive, because at such a case, I think I am taking care of peoples not so much. I may have a cold heart.

Anonymous said...

p.s.
Congratulations on sitting together around a table for dinner finally.

I will be in my parents' home in the same town next week. I muse about the promised land that the food was excellent you endorsed.

Yuzu said...

Dear:Mr.Mogi
I feel you have a good time in Fukuoka.
I hear Kyushu people are warm and tender.
I wish you are comfortable everywhere.