Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Expectations

This summer, within a few days, I would be traveling to Bayreuth for the first time in my life.

I will be listening to the performances of Tristan und Isolde, Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg, and Parsifal.

Naturally I am filled with great expectations. Wagner was, has been, and is the creative genius of my love, and attending the Bayreuth festival has been one of my dreams.

I am 46 now. To think it took more than 30 years to realize one's wish inspires one with strange emotions.

There are many spiritual creatures lurking in one's expectations. They have their own life forms, timelines for development. Sometimes they bear fruit, and other times perish. To come to something in actuality has nothing to do with the fulfilment of one's expectations. Expectations have their own territory, where Queens and Kings with no parallels in the real world reign in the darkness and mist.

When I am seated in the Festspielhaus in Bayreuth, and the lights go out, as the first notes resound, I will have finally found a restful tomb for all these wonderful creatures that have been lurking in my expectations.

3 comments:

Utako said...

It is remarkable to attend Bayreuth festival.
I'm glad to hear your long-time dream comes true. It might be meaningful travel since the festival is called pilgrimage. Listening to the performances of Tristan und Isolde, Die Meistersinger Von Nurnberg, and Parsifal in the Festspielhaus will include the wish of Wagner.

I feel dreams become active in chasing rainbows. So we will have a fear of its realization. The fear is fair with the former dream. But, at the same time, once an expectation is placed under the favorable light, it would evolve into a newborn mold.

I'm looking forward to the travel sketch.
Have a nice trip and exciting summer vacation!

(ma)gog said...

Dear Mogi sensei,

I am praying for you to fulfill your long-time cherished dream.

And please enjoy beautiful summer in Germany.

Your remark about "expectations" reminded me of my trembling heart 26 years ago when I travelled the Prince Edward Island.

In a few weeks of time I will be traveling to the south as well because my daughter is starting her bachelor programm in Munich. I am filled with another kind of expectations.

Anonymous said...

Great. Have a nice trip, Dr Mogi.

and .. I hope you can do some outdoor exercise regularly even during a trip.