Thursday, July 09, 2009

To the river

When I strolled in Cambridge U.K. for the first time back in 1993, I was fascinated by the ancient ambience of the academic city. As I approached the Trinity college, I noticed a small writing on the wall.

"To the river", it said, with an arrow pointing towards the river Cam.

I liked the metaphor, and it stayed with me to this day.

In my life, whenever I can, I am looking for a road leading to the river.


"To the river" sign on the wall near Trinity college, Cambridge, U.K.

2 comments:

Utako said...

After I saw the sign on the wall "To the river", I wanted to listen to a song in loud sound.

" We'd drive out of this valley down to where the field were green
We'd go down to the river
And into the river we'd dive
Oh down to the river we'd ride "
( Bruce Springsteen " The river ")

Rivers running on the land and in the body always tempt me a little ahead.

(ma)gog said...

In the sommer of 1993, I was in Cambridge as well. I enjoyed punting in the river Cam with my children. Their thrilled excitement soon turned to the relaxed smiles. The breeze stroke our faces quietly, the water rippled along with the boat moving forward. The scent of that beatiful sommer can still catch me so vividly.

(And now I live by the river Rhein, by the way.)