Thursday, August 20, 2009

I did not even dream

When I am hungry at night, having been unable to take a respectable bite, at the bed time I am faced with a dilemma. Should I eat something or not? When I succumb to the temptation, I would perhaps put the kettle and make some hot water. I would make one of the instant noodles in the cup, and eat it, with a feeling of guilt on my heart. You are not supposed to eat miso soup noodles in the small hours.

Last night, I had that kind of temptation again, but resisted it. It is not that I had an iron will. I was simply too exhausted.

The feeling of exhaustion translated itself into a need to watch one of my favorite British comedies, Father Ted. I did not last even for a few minutes.

When I awoke this morning, I found the DVD having gone to the very end, with the computer making the characteristic fan sound when it has been on for a long time. It was heat that accompanied my finally sweet sleep. I did not even dream.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess Dr. Mogi, you are too busy and your family might be very worried about you. You take care of yourself.

by the way, in your prologue, I imagined Toru Rikiishi's midnight... he did (could) not drink water.

Utako said...

In any case I felt relieved to hear that you fell fast asleep.
It sounds to me that you are very tired.
I sometimes worry when you rest yourself.
The body might be more delicate than the will.

When I feel hungry at midnight, I'm in the habit of drinking water. The water is usually added pathetic meaning, "the origin of life", "the purest dew on earth"...
While distracting my mind from hunger like this, my stomach begin to harmonize with a wish for diet.

(ma)gog said...

Yes, indeed, you need to take a holiday!

Anonymous said...

As a graduate student, this sounds exactly like my daily routine. ^_^

Petrusa de Koker said...

May I suggest a vacation here? How about an African safari? :)